We are seeking talented and driven research scientists to join Affigen, a venture funded biotech startup based in Austin, TX. Affigen develops biologic therapeutics that target cell lineage-specific markers, with the goal of achieving an unprecedented degree of specificity, safety and efficacy in the treatment of cancer. These therapeutics represent the world’s first mass-personalized, highly-targeted anti-tumor drugs (monoclonal antibodies and cell therapies) initially targeting incurable B-cell lymphomas. Medium- and long-term applications include autoimmune diseases and solid tumor (mutanome) targets. The ideal candidates are hands-on, independent, flexible, data-driven, and quick to adapt to rapidly moving priorities in a dynamic startup environment.
Reporting to Senior R&D Scientists, the Research Associate will be a part of our growing lab group that is responsible for generating and characterizing test materials to support manufacture process development and preclinical studies required to rapidly advance Affigen’s patient-specific monoclonal antibody therapeutics into the clinical-phase. In this role, the Research Associate is expected to take ownership of specific processes, assays or instrumentation (listed below) and act as the in-house subject matter expert in these functional areas. In addition, the Research Associate will be required to perform miscellaneous laboratory duties that may broadly traverse aspects of upstream, downstream, and analytical development and general research support. A successful candidate for this position will be performance-focused, detail-oriented, and capable of filling a multidisciplinary supporting role across multiple research and development activities through excellent communication, documentation and teamwork skills.
- Facilitate research, process and analytical development activities under the direction of senior scientists
- Carry out independent research and development projects as assigned
- Perform or assist with general laboratory methods including PCR, qPCR, sequencing, SDS-PAGE, western blotting, BCA, spectrophotometry, ELISA, flow cytometry and phage display-based screening
- Assist with miscellaneous lab operations and research support functions, such as sample processing, inventory, ordering, sterilization and buffer and reagent preparation
- Analyze data, prepare figures and present findings in weekly lab meetings
- Draft SOPs and technical reports
- Maintain highest standards in data collection, analysis and reporting suitable for inclusion in regulatory submissions
- Support equipment and assay evaluation, selection and qualification
- Manage external vendors, partners and collaborators
- Attend relevant courses, conferences or tradeshows (some travel may be required)
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, biotechnology, immunology or other relevant scientific disciplines
- BS with 3+ years, MS with 1+ years of direct experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry setting
- Proven expertise and achievement in one or more of these functional areas:
- Mammalian cell culture and protein expression (experience with CHO cells preferred)
- Protein purification and characterization (experience with Akta and Octet preferred)
- Flow cytometry and development/execution of cell-based assays
- Sanger and next-generation sequencing
- Phage display technology
- Kinase signaling and apoptosis assays
- Demonstrable general molecular biology and biochemistry laboratory skills required
- Strong communication and quantitative data analysis skills
- Excellent record keeping abilities. Familiarity with GxP documentation requirements a plus
- Experience in monoclonal antibody development and immuno-oncology preferred
Working for Affigen
Affigen is a fast-paced, team-focused startup with significant growth and career opportunities at all levels. We offer competitive pay and a robust benefit package.
Affigen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.